Re: bead blasting

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: bead blasting
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 13:58:29 -0800
Aha-
        I can answer that!  Depends on the media and the applicator.
        If you blast at 90 psi with glass bead, it does a nice job of 'keying'
the surface of the metal to take primer.  You may not want to use etch
primer, tho- some brands caution NOT to use certain products on bare,
blasted metal.  Your product disaster sheet will explain, clearly!
        If you use walnut shells and 30 psi, if it gets the paint off, it'll
leave EVERYTING else!  It's truly amazing, I gotta say.  Ususally,
people with money will walnut-blast then
        Sandblasting, with any silica abrasive, at any substantial pressure,
will rough up the metal considerably.  And warp it too, if the blasting
person isn't careful.  It WON'T remove surface irregularities (it might
smooth down scratches, but they'll still be there) but it will take
everything else off- bondo, rust, some metal, fingers.  Etch-priming is
usually verboten after an aggressive abrasiveblasting- it's too
effective at keying the metal, which is already roughed up plenty to key
any primer product.
Hee hee hee,
I'm a fount of knowledge,
Toby