Datsun sighting!

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Datsun sighting!
From: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 18:31:19 -0500
  I just got the December issue of Car & Driver today; cover "HEAVY 100; A
wacky, year-early tribute to the automotive century."  Moment #34, on page
53, :
Quoth the raven, 'Stout as a Buddha!  C/Ds first road test of a Japanese
production car may be found in our June 1964 issue.  Three whole pages were
devoted to the Datsun P410-U, about which we remarked; "Japan's cars are
getting prettier and better all the time!"  My, my.  The little four-door
Datsun had a pushrod, 60-hp, 1189cc four-cylinder, and a 0-to-60 time of
20.8 seconds.  Price from the New Jersey distributor: $1696, not cheap.
Thumbs down on the boxy design; When the Japanese are building "brilliantly
conceived" motorcycles, we wrote, why are the cars so derivative?  We're
critical even then: "We throw up our hands."  Quality gets a thumps up: "All
parts are as 'stout as a Buddha.'"
  Moment #52 mentions Datsun again with the introduction of the 240Z.

Paul
OROC

BTW, I looked at the '69 ( really 68 ) 1600 for sale here in Cleveland,
Ohio.  I'm thinking about it as a future project.  If any one is interested,
write for details.