2 Days of bliss then....

To: "Datsun Roadster list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 2 Days of bliss then....
From: "Scott Calkins" <stretch1@primenet.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 15:46:10 -0700
Well after close to a year of the roadster sitting in the driveway up on
ramps, I started working on it again.  I got it running on a Saturday, and
took it out severial times over the weekend making sure it was running ok.
All seemed fine so I was gonna take it to work on monday to work.  Before
work I had to make a quick trip to pay a bill.  Just as I arived at the
place to pay the bill, the engine developed a noticable ping.  As I babied
it home the ping got worse and worse.  Just as I was to turn onto my street,
the engine went CLUNK, as did my heart.  To make the story short, I guess I
didnt torque down the piston rod end cap bolts down right, as the end cap on
#2 had come completly off and the rod was jammed into the side of the crank.
The dammage looks like it is limited to the rod and bearings though.  There
is a slight nick in the surface of the crank, but it looks like i can polish
it out.  Thank god at the time it let loose, I was at idle, and it was out
of gear.

Question now, it looks like the rod is toast.  Is the rod the same in the
1600 and 2000?  If not does anyone hase a single 1600 rod and end cap they
wanna sell?

Scott