Re: Mounting stock alternator

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mounting stock alternator
From: "Calvin Grandy" <cmgfam@sover.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 10:36:15 -0500
I have similar needs in installing the alternator on my recently acquired 1968
1600. The '67 I had years ago was fitted with a substantial cast iron
alternator mount that bolted to the engine right hand side.  This car has no
such bracket and the P.O. cobbled up some washers and such to use the support
arm bolt just below the thermostat housing as the alternator fixing mount.
(single mounting type alternator)  The support/adjustment arm is then attached
at the timing cover location.  This allows some useful adjustment travel, but
is not a very good arraignment in my view.  I  machined up aluminum spacers to
aline the pulleys.  This scheme is a great improvement over the "as received"
set up, but would likely not hold up in service.

Two questions:
        Is the cast bracket at the left side engine mount suitable for
alternator fixing?  I presume that it is designed for the air pump, if fitted.
 In the "service handbook" there is one picture of the 2 liter engine that
appears to have the alternator mounted this way.  This scheme would also clean
up the wiring as the wire loom would not need to cross the engine bay to
connect with the RH alternator location.

        Are there any useful pictures of stock and "successful" mountings on
any web pages?

 I think $100 to mount an alternator is a bit steep, but a tow bill and a
replacement alternator would be much more. Vendors for these?

Regards

Calvin Grandy