Re: Speedo calculations

To: "Mike Poorboy" <bitterrootprop@nidlink.com>
Subject: Re: Speedo calculations
From: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 22:04:47 -0800
Mike,
Thanks this was great! my tires measure 23.25 in diameter when measured
front to back. only 22.75 from ground to top. I believe the front to back is
what I should use, so
3000X23.25/1059=66 mph cool! <dam I never go that slow. I'm usually turning
3700 or 81 mph

Victor,
I will give you several ways of calculating your speedometers accuracy.

Item 1: Speedometer check. For this one you will need one of the
Cal Trans Speed check zones.  MPH=3600/time in seconds between
points in a mile. 3600 is seconds in an hour. Take a stop watch or your
wrist watch and time your car between points at a given mile an hour
lets say
60. If it takes you 60 seconds you are doing 60 miles an hour.

Item 2:  Wheel and gear calc. MPH= rpm x tire diameter/gear ratio x 336.

So lets use these numbers since I do not no the diameter of your
specific
tire, but I do know your rearend gear ratio and the gear ratio of fifth
gear.

Lets assume your tire diameter is 26", and your rpm in fifth gear is
4000.

MPH= 4000 x 26 / 3.70 x .852 x 336

MPH= 104000 / 1059

MPH=98

Fifth gear ratio of a 2 liter five speed is: .852
Rear end gear ratio of a 2 liter is :3.7
336 is the constant

My tire diameter is only 22.7" with 185/60/14 tires.

You can do this calculation in any gear by substituting the trans gear
ratio
and rpm numbers.

Here are the gear ratio's.

1st: 2.957
2 nd: 1.858
3 rd : 1.311
4 th: 1.00
5 th: .852

I hope this doesn't totally confuse you.

Mike