Rotary Roadsters

To: Jim Tyler <jtyler29@idt.net>
Subject: Rotary Roadsters
From: Jim Tyler <jtyler29@idt.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 09:21:49 -0400
Not to start an endless debate (again) but, I personally wouldn't go the rotary
route in a roadster.

In college I had a 13B RX3SP with a peripheral port engine and Holley (so I
know of what I type).
It was great fun.  It had a Racing beat header,Tilton flywheel and a BIG
exhaust system.
The top end was fantastic, it just kept pulling, sort of felt like a small V8
after about 5K rpm
up to 8k. I couldn't blow it up with revs, It just wimped out and you shift.
Really embarassed some of the chessy mid 70's-80's Vette owners.  They would
kill it of the line but then I would come screaming past.  It routinely killed
mufflers.
They are awesome engines.

But, unless top end power is all you care about, it isn't the motor for a
Roadster IMHO.

A souped up rotary requires a OPEN exhaust.  There isn't room in a roadster w/o
a hack job.
The exhaust is on the wrong side.   They are loud as hell.   (Bad enough in the
coupe, but in a roadster, major yuch.)   The cops can hear you for MILES!
When it backfires you'll think you got shot.   Other than that, perfect!

There are much better engine choices for roadsters (and we have hashed that one
to death too)
Call me old fashioned, I still like U20's.

Jim Tyler

BTW the VG30DE (4 cam 90+ engine) does not look like an attractive fit.
I think the earlier VG's are a much better route since the transmissions are a
much more reasonable size.