CA registration (was No Subject)

To: ENLITE3@aol.com
Subject: CA registration (was No Subject)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:09:13 PST8PDT
Sharon has discovered:
> Someone just gave me a 1968 1600... California DMV says it will cost
> me over $500.00 to get the registration current.

Yup, that's California..
By the way, Kyle, to 'legally' scrap a car in CA, you need to get the
$50 DMV permit. What a system, eh? Pay to keep it, pay to ignore
it, pay to get rid of it..

How do charities do it? I can donate a non-registered car and they
can turn around and sell it with clean title. Maybe there's a charity
that would accept it from your friend (give them a tax break) and
resell it back to you at less than the DMV ransom... Of course, you
want to be sure you don't lose the car in the process!

Even with clean paperwork, DMV will nail you a chunk o' change for
the transfer. But not nearly $500 - for a car off-road for only two years,
that seems high even for California...

-- John