Re: Head Bolt Re-Torque

To: "PATRICK P. CASTRONOVO" <slick@mohaveaz.com>, <Xcokid@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Head Bolt Re-Torque
From: "Fred Katz" <fredkatz@2xtreme.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 02:09:44 -0700
Because of the recent thread about camshafts breaking, and nightmares about
the possibility of this happening to me on the way to Doheny next weekend,
I realigned my camshaft on my '66 2000.

A while back when I took the cylinder head to the machinist for valve work,
I left the cam towers in place. When I picked up the head, the towers were
in a plastic baggy! So I bolted up the towers and the cam, and it seemed to
spin okay. BUT... I didn't think about the head torquing of the head bolts.
 Now after the recent talk, all I could think about was what if the cam
breaks because it is bending!

So off came the radiator, fan, spark plugs and valve cover. I used a
breaker bar and socket to turn the crankshaft. Removed the rockers and
springs, and dismounted the cam sprocket. Sure enough, it was tough to turn
it, not easy as others say it should be (with a finger and thumb, right?).

I've heard different stories about whether to retorque in standard
sequence, or in reverse from the outside in. The heck with it, I did both.
I loosened all the cam towers. Then starting at the outside working my way
in, I would loosen each head bolt, tap the cam tower all around, then
torque to about 40. This let the stress out at the ends. Then I started at
the middle and worked my way out in the torque sequence, torquing to 65
ft/lbs. Then torqued the cam tower bolts. After that, the cam spinned easy.
Everything got put back together, and the engine runs great.

I found out what the growl sound was in my engine. I started the engine
without the fan belt, sounded fine. With the fan belt, the growl came back.
Seems that the alignment of the pulleys on the water pump and alternator
were off a little. The noise was coming from the alternator.

My thanks to all for the tips.

Fred
SF BADROC

> From: PATRICK P. CASTRONOVO <slick@mohaveaz.com>
> To: Xcokid@aol.com; datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Head Bolt Re-Torque
> Date: Saturday, October 16, 1999 10:20 AM
>
> That's right.  And don't forget to repeat this ritual after 500 miles.
For