Re: Stupid Tickets

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stupid Tickets
From: frankr@hwcn.org (Frank Roggeband)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 00:20:16 -0400

>Am I paranoid or is this country becoming a Police State??

You wanna talk stupid tickets!

I once had a 510 that I stopped driving and 6 months after the registration
lapsed these lovely things began to appear in the mail. "Notice of Fine
and Due Date". A friendly reminder from the City of Toronto, a very nice
place 50 miles away, that I failed to pay my parking ticket and also
failed to appear in court. Copies of the partially filled out tickets were
included. The result was the $15 ticket was now $75 with court costs etc.
These arrived in pairs, four in all. I was quite amused that a car with
the engine removed was somehow showing up some 50 miles away parked
illegally. For each ticket I had to swear out an affidavit at the
Toronto courthouse to reopen each case and set a new court date. finally
after missing a days work to reopen 2 cases and not receiving a reply that
was supposedly sent I called the prosecutors office and recieved detailed
instructions on how to beat the tickets without the need to visit their
fine Metropolis. Any local courthouse would do.

As it turns out, the fine folks responable for writing parking tickets
in Metro Toronto were told they were not writing enough tickets and were
given daily quotas that had to be met or don't show up Monday morning.
To top it off no vehicle description and illegibe handwriting were
removed as a valid defence against parking tickets. A licence plate
number, date and street name were all that was required to issue a
ticket. Many who were unable to fill thier quotas did so in the comfort
of thier own home at the end of the day. People all over Ontario as far
as 500 miles away, who had never been to Toronto, were receiving piles
of parking tickets in the form of "Notice of Fine and Due Date" letters.
Needless to say the fit hit the shan, politicians denied knowing anything,
those who were let go suddenly had work again and guys like me stopped
getting tickets.

The moral and manditory roadster content. Take a look around, does your
parts car out back have an old plate on it? Do you have a set of plates
you hung onto for your next car hanging in the garage? Did a heap you sent
to the wreckers recently still have plates on it? Valid numbers still
in the system are capable of having fines attached to them. I collected
all mine and personally turned them in at the MOT, that's our DMV, and
got reciepts. These days you can never be sure what "Big Brother" is
up to. Most of the time they don't know themselves.

Cool and damp here aggravating the arthritis. Tose missng lettrs are
not a keyboad prblem. Tried to catch them all but gave up.:-)

--
Frank Roggeband | 67.5-1600, 69-1600, 69-510, 71-510, 75-710, 93-KingCab
Grimsby Ontario | Home Page-->http://www.hwcn.org/~ae845/Profile.html