Re: L20b swap?/Insurance

To: bitterrootprop@nidlink.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: L20b swap?/Insurance
From: SGHT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 00:04:25 EDT
As an insurance agent (retired) let me caution you:
1- The limited use policies (Haggerty/J C. Taylor/etc.) have restrictive
language such as only for parades, shows and occasional pleasure rides. They
specifically exclude driving to work, doing errands, etc. This is really
collector car insurance. If you take road trips/cruises or take car to work
or the store, insure on your standard auto policy. Remember, the minor fender
bender is no sweat but if you have a "major" accident, the insurance company
can easily deny the claim as you were not within the limited use restrictions
of policy. The reason the premium is low is because their use restrictions
greatly reduce their exposure when compared to regular use of most cars.
2- All auto policies I have ever seen (except for speciality/expensive racing
coverage) specifically exclude coverage when the car is in any type of speed
contest. This includes road racing, x-cross, drags and even rally. I have
heard of claims paid on rally damage (I think there were some "details"
missing in the accident report) and even know of a total loss paid on a
Ferrari the flipped during a Ferrari Club day at Watkins Glen. It was deemed
that this was not a race and no times were kept, so it was not competitive.
It was a hassle, but they paid.
FWIW
Sam Turner
(Vintage racer/just ran in Brock Yates Cannonball Classic/not your normal
policy pusher)