Rebuild sounds

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Rebuild sounds
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:01:18 -0700
Hi,

I've got a question for you guys that rebuilt U20's. Just over a week ago I
fired up my rebuilt 2000. It's strong and runs great. But there's this
growl sound coming from the engine since starting it. I figured it might be
the new piston rings trying to settle in. Is it normal for you to hear new
rings? How long should I expect to hear it before it goes away. I have
about 100 miles on it now.

If it isn't the rings, could it be the oil slinger? I hear the noise the
same from front to back of the engine, it doesn't sound like it's just the
front where the oil slinger is. I'm mentioning the oil slinger, because
that's the only thing I figure could be rubbing on anything (between the
crankshaft timing gear and the seal on the timing cover). After running it
a couple days for 35 miles, I replaced the new oil and filter. That new oil
showed no metal or other contamination, it was super clean. The chains,
tensioner, and guide look fine.

I'm trying to break in the engine before the long drive to Doheny (that'll
be a 1200 mile weekend). But I don't want the engine to break!

BTW, I love U20 power! I accidentally smoked my tires a couple times
pulling into traffic. My wife thought I was showing off, but I'm used to
driving 1600's and didn't mean to do it!

Fred - So.SF
SF BADROC
'66 2000