Re: fiat engine a roadster??

To: Jim Tyler <jtyler29@idt.net>
Subject: Re: fiat engine a roadster??
From: Alan Bent <ajb@squirrel.com.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 00:33:08 +1000
It is a rare and unique occasion when Tyler actually has something half
way intellegent to say, but in this case I have to agree with him, the
Fiat-Datsun hybrid is a bad idea. The Fiat isn't necesarilly a bad engine
and it may fit in ok and it may actually run well in the Roadster, but
it's value will be totally shot to bits. I don't know what it is like in
the US of A but over here the mere mention the word Fiat is enough to
make people recoil in horror or burst out laughing.
It actually reminds me of a time a few years ago when we were on a run
with our car club and a new member showed up on a run for the first time.
He had quite a nice looking low screen car, he came over and met everyone
and was talking to the other members when he said "hey, do you want to
see my engine". Being typical car nuts we all went over to have a look at
what we were expecting to be an R series engine, but when he lifted the
bonnet we were greeted with a Toyota twin cam engine. It was the only
time I have seen these guys in my club totally speechless. Everyone just
stared at the engine with a look of absolute horror for what seemed like
an eternity, then we all looked at each other to see who would say
something first. Someone eventually said something like "err, that's,
umm, interesting", then everyone slowly backed away. Later we all felt
bad about the way we reacted, no one wanted to offend this guy but we
were all as shocked as each other after seeing the enemy's engine in a
Roadster. The poor guy never came on another run again, and I don't blame
him. I would hate to see the owner of the Fiat-Datsun have to go through
the same thing the Toyota-Datsun guy did.
(btw. I had to decline Tyler's marriage proposal, the pre-nuptional
agreement would have been a nightmare)
Alan Bent  -  Queensland , Australia
(my father owns a Fiat Multipla 600, just don't tell anyone)
1966 Fairlady SP311  -  1965 Silvia CSP311
1966 Fairlady SP311  -  1964 Fairlady 3 seater SP310
1964 Fairlady 3 seater SP310 - 1964 Cedric Wagon WP31
1963 Bluebird P312 -  1963 Bluebird P312
1963 Cedric P31 - 1964 Cedric Wagon 1964
1969 Super Six G130
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/3823/index.html