Rackin Frackin Rag Top!

To: <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rackin Frackin Rag Top!
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kyle@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 10:25:55 -0700
Hey there, Roadsterites...

...as the weather is starting to turn icky, even in California, I guess it's
time to get the top on the stupid thing to work... the car is a '69.  The top
has some interesting interior covering for the top mechanism above the door
glass, which snaps closed at the upper edge (if that helps anyone know what kind
of top it is).  The frame appears to have adjustments for the bow above the rear
window, maybe in two places?

The problem with this thing is that it doesn't latch securely.  I've gotten some
weatherstripping from Ross Mullen, which I have not installed yet....  The three
latches on the top bow appear to be adjusted at their tightest.  The center
latch's hinge pin has been replaced by an enormous cotter pin :-(  The driver's
side latch works fairly well, the center only barely, and the passenger side not
at all.  The driver's latch is the only one to come even close to a 'snap' shut
position, the other two seem to be barely teetering on the edge.  The front lip
of the top (as viewed from the exterior) appears to be too high relative to the
latching area.  The frame has been lubricated at its moving points, and works
pretty smoothly.

I'm a pretty handy guy, but don't have any experience with this... is there some
background reading, FAQ, online how-to, or anything like that?

Assuming that I can't fix the center latch with pop-rivets, what do replacement
latches go for?

Is there anything else that I need to consider?

TIA
       ____  Kyle Hagemann, Born-Again Grease Monkey From Beyond
   _.;(____\____    72 240Z, L28, 5spd, poly, etc. - The Z-Beast
  |  _ |   |  _'@`, 69 2000, U20, three speed - El Krunchariffic