Cannonball Classic

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, owner-vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Cannonball Classic
From: SGHT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 23:38:34 EDT
Hi boys and girls,
This is a bit off from the lists' normal flow, but I just returned from
running three days of Brock Yate's 1999 Cannonball.
There were 25 cars running including: 3 XKE Jags, 3 Ferraris, a 240Z and a
Dodge Challenger from Japan, a 1963 Ford Falcon convertible (V/8), a 70
Plymouth Superbird, a 1952 Cunniingham C4R, a 1949 Cadillac pan American
veteran, and a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery with a warmed 350 Chevy engine which
I drove.
What an experience!
Registration was at the Plaza Hotel and the start was from Rockefeller Center
at 2:00 PM with a run to Scranton, PA. Then, the next day to Detroit with a
reception at Federal Mogul corporate offices. Then on to St. Louis, Lincoln,
Steamboat Springs, Eureka (NV) and on to Redondo Beach (Portofino Hotel).
Unfortunately, I had to drop out as the long days of hard driving were too
much for the valve seals on the 350 Chev. and it started to run through
quantities of 5W40. However, next year we will be stronger and finish. Give
some thought to joining in next year.
The days are long, the driving sometimes fast, the people are great and the
cars a real catchall. It is a true experience for any gear head!
Sam Turner
Rochester, NY