Re[2]: Top Questions

To: "Ron & Julie Edgar" <rvedgar@bellsouth.net>,
Subject: Re[2]: Top Questions
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:36:54 -0700
Perhaps you've seen the owners' manual. I've got scans of it at

http://www.2xtreme.net/fredkatz/Manl18q.html
and
http://www.2xtreme.net/fredkatz/Manl19q.html
and
http://www.2xtreme.net/fredkatz/Manl20q.html

According to the manual, that's the proper procedure. But it doesn't work for
me, nor for others who have RollBars. I learned how to protect my side windows
from CalSpeed. It's not the 'official' procedure, but you might want to see if
it works for you.

1) Unfasten all twisties and post-snaps, and undo the front clamps.

2) Pull the rear bottom of the ragtop back, and lift it up and over the top,
making a fold just above the ragtop rear window. Be sure the ragtop side windows
are straight out to the sides with the fold just in front of those windows.

3) Disconnect the velcro tabs, or tab snaps holding the rear of the top onto the
most rear overhead bar. This will make the job of putting the top down a whole
lot easier. If your car has the top sewn onto the rear-most bar, then too bad,
and you should convert it!

4) Take the ragtop side windows, one at a time, and flip them over onto the top.
They should now be resting on top of the folded rear window.

5) While holding the setup in place, ease the top upwards and backwards, so the
group of windows set at the back of the rear luggage deck. They will sort of be
sitting in a vertical position.

6) Now you can tuck the rest of the ragtop assembly down and in front of the
group of windows.

7) It looks much nicer with the short tonneau cover for hiding the folded
ragtop.

8) I'm going to cop out on the rest, and say raising the top is the reverse of
lowering it.

If you do this right, the windows will not get pinched by the top hardware, and
you can rest items on the rear luggage deck without interfering with the
windows. The windows will be wrinkle-free.

My recommendation is to get a hardtop. I leave my ragtop down most of the time.
When I get home, I partially undo the tonneau cover, and toss the hardtop on and
just set the front clamps. This only takes 1 minute to do, and protects the car
overnight. During the rainy season, I fasten the hardtop all the way and keep it
on.

Fred - So.SF
SFBADROC