Re: DATSUN hood letters

To: SPL311RDST@aol.com,
Subject: Re: DATSUN hood letters
From: Mike Poorboy <bitterrootprop@nidlink.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 11:56:21 -0700

SPL311RDST@aol.com wrote:

> Took my little beast to the shop this weekend to get a start on making her
> road-worthy again. In the trunk I found a new set of hood letters that I had
> bought years ago, and opted not to put them on. Yeah... I kinda LIKE folks
> wondering what kind of car it is -SICK huh?<G> I wish I had a dollar for
> every "What year is your Triumph?" I've heard over the years <G> <G> (Rule #1
> - keep everybody guessing, it makes life more interesting!)
>
> Anyhoo.... IIRC wasn't there a fairly recent post where someone was looking
> for a set? If so, drop me a line and "lets make a deal", I'll prolly never
> use the things myself.
>
> Laurie :-)
> 70 SPL311
> Chandler, AZ

Laurie,
I was told by two different previous owners. That removing all identifying
Datsun badging was common practice among street racers. The previous
owner of the 68' I had ;took of all the Datsun badging ,side chome and
anything else that would identify it as a roadster. He told me when they
went to Mulholland Drive (which is above Los Angeles) to race they thought
theywere MG's. He stated that they were much faster in the corners then almost
every American muscle car there. Including the Corvette.

Both cars that I bought while I was in California had this done to it.

Mike
Hayden Lake, Idaho