Re: timing chains and stuff

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: timing chains and stuff
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:28:41 -0700
Gordon Glasgow wrote:

> Have you read what Smokey Yunick found out about cam movement in a running
>engine?
> Very interesting. Because of the variable forces at work on the cam (pressure
>on
> different sides of the cam lobes from the rockers), it does NOT have the nice
> smooth forward motion that we tend to visualize.

OK, I KNOW this is me having too much time to think and not enough time
to wrench, BUT:
        Has anyone thought about coming up with a different set of cam drive
gears for the 2L?  Those tiny little sprockets take a bunch of force,
and as they wear, let the cam slop around as Gordon was saying.
        So the little (very little) design engineer in me says- why not go to
bigger gears and a longer chain?  It would wear less, keep the cam timed
tighter, and probably not cost too much more than OEM parts are running
these days.
        Of course, one would have to redesign the whole front of the engine,
but that would be half the fun... I guess
I always wanted to play engineer,
Toby