Was compression, Now: flaming Mustangs

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Was compression, Now: flaming Mustangs
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 14:55:56 PST8PDT
SORRY, SORRY, off-topic, I know!
But I have a pair of '65s and they need defending

> a couple days ago there was a 60 Minutes blurb on sixties  Mustangs
> being very dangerous in collisions. Seems that they have drop-in fuel
> tanks in the trunk, that will burst in a rear collision and shower
> passengers  with gasoline.

That tank is built like a, umm, tank. If someone rear-ends you at
80 MPH you're gonna have a problem... in ANY car. The difference is
in a Roadster, the tank is totally outside of the body. In early Mustangs,
the floor of the trunk IS the tank - no 'firewall' between it and the
passengers.

You can buy a steel plate to replace the cardboard one behind the
rear seat (check the Mustang suppliers). That adds the 'missing'
firewall.

Flames (no pun intended) back to me and not the list, please.
Roadster content: My Roadsters are parked next to my Mustangs.
Oh yeah - I drive an '84 Chevy truck with the deathtrap side saddle
tanks, too :-)

-- John