Cold start probs and Travelling...

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Cold start probs and Travelling...
From: "Dan Neff" <neffster@mail.bemail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 09:38:04 MDT
Arrghh... I need help..

   My toadster (of 2 yrs) is a daily driver. Somewhere in June, it
started being a real pain to cold start - happened almost instantly;
i thought it was bad gas. Seems to need full-choke and up to 1/2
MINUTE of cranking (I don't continuous crank, mind you) to get it to
start.
   Once started, it runs great/normal, and re-starts fine when warm.

   Before, i'd choke it, and it would start *immediately*.

   I thought I had it fixed, when I found the wire connector on top
of the (stock) coil (one wire goes to a condenser looking thingy,
the other thru the firewall) was loose.. but it's started happening
again, and the connector is still tight.. I've twiddled and checked
carbs, replaced fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, condenser,
and points. Tweaked adv a hair (by ear; was 15 degs, probably 18-20
now), to no avail. I drive day and night (charging/battery has gotta
be ok).
   It's modified to 'non-smog', altho i see it has the
tube/connectors on the water temp sensor that someone mentioned
previously as being a part for cold starting w/ smog devices. .. but
i've never had trouble before.

   Seems like it's gotta be ignition. A roadster buddy thought there
was some 'trick' to the Roadsters that added a little extra
spark/voltage on cold starting, but he didn't understand the
electronics. The thought makes sense, but i don't know what to
pursue. I replaced the coil last Spring with a Pep Boyz number. It
didn't have all the components to go with it (condenser thingy, the
ceramic-with-wire-coil-inside didn't have the correct bracket, so i
didn't install it, etc.). I had the steering column off to replace
tach cable awhile back, but would've thought any ignition switch
mis-connections wouldn't be so subtle.
Any idea's? thanks..

Meanwhile,
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 18:27:26 CalSpeed@aol.com wrote:
>Subject: Roadster Travelers Website
>
>I was wondering if anyone has a list of must carry items for the
>Roadster traveler.   ... I have a few items that I will add to get
>started.
>
>A set of  spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, points, condensor, 2
>quarts of motor oil, a quart of tranny fluid, a can of fix-a-flat,
>fire extinguisher, duct tape, one gallon of water, tools, rags...
>... and of course a cell phone, suntan lotion, etc.

I carried these items, which were suggested from previous posts
here:
 spare fan belt,  flash light, tools, premixed 50/50 antifreeze,
 jumper cables, fuel filter

>.. if anyone would like to suggest any great drives that
>should be experienced in a Roadster please let me know and I will
>try to add that in somewhere on the site.

arghhh.. i'll try to look around; my (failed) recollection is you'll
find cool stuff already posted via motorcycle touring websites. (we
ex-)bikers like the scenic (2-lane) twisties just as much as
Roadster riders!

I can think of a LIST of routes in Colorado. You want short loops,
or scenic drive-thru's?

dan.
Dan Neff   '69 2000
       SRL311-12866