Re: suggestions????

To: "matt w Monday" <matt_monday@juno.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: suggestions????
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kyle@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 09:49:38 -0700
>I went to go pick up my grade from school and told him not
>to touch anything in my car & as I was walking out he thought
>it would be funny to drive away as I walked up.  So he drove
>it around in a circle and was coming back to park it and missed
>the brake and hit the gas instead and went head into a pole.

Lawd, lawd!  First suggestion - either get a different friend, or
get an ignition key....  word travels fast at your age, so it won't
be too long until someone thinks it's funny to take the car some
night and rob a liquor store...

>After he did this the car wasn't running right. Its way out of
>time and it smokes at idle speed.  Could this be timing chain
>or rings? Also my S. U carbs are always getting to much gas.
>Can anyone help me?

For SU info:
http://www.jetlink.net/~okayfine/sutech.html
http://home.istar.ca/~datsun/att06.htm
http://www.sonic.net/~kyle/ztech.html

Hard to say what the problem is exactly.... best bet would be to
start somewhere and go through things, eliminating them as you go.

Pull the valve cover and check valve timing (you'll probably need a
manual for the procedure, or someone on the list can help) and
adjustment.  Cost: $25 for a manual and $10 for a valve cover
gasket.

Set the ignition timing; cost: free
Set your carb balance and mixture; cost: $25 for a carb balancer

Double check all your electrical connections... it's a big subject,
but the short version is that these cars don't have the greatest
electrical systems.  FWIW, the 68 and up cars are a little better;-)

Take your time, do small things one at a time, and have fun!

Kyle