RE: Oil pump driveshaft

To: "'Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us'" <Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us>,
Subject: RE: Oil pump driveshaft
From: "Ryan, Richard" <RRyan@frk.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 07:53:49 -0700
I used an old, broken oil pump driveshaft and ground off all the gear teeth.
Then I put it in place in the motor.  I had a steel rod with a flat section
on one end and inserted the other end in my electric drill.  The flat
section was then inserted into the notch that normally drives the
distributor.  You need to run the drill in the reverse direction (reverse
from the way you would drill a hole).

I also found that after I pre-lubed the engine I could not insert the good
driveshaft right away.  For some reason (which I can't explain) It would not
go in until I waited a few hours.  Usually I would pre-lube last thing in
the evening, then next morning the good driveshaft would slip in with no
problems.

Dick Ryan  ex. 24022
(650)312-4022
Risk Management Dept. #857