Re: More Brake queries

To: "Daniel" <daniel@seaport.net>
Subject: Re: More Brake queries
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 12:09:47 PST8PDT
It was written:
> The brake line nut that comes into the M/C is leaking; old and rusty.
>  Can I use some thing like plumber's tape on the threads.

Just a reminder to everyone here: The nuts on the brake lines are
NOT pipe fittings, and do NOT seal the fluid.

The actual fluid seal comes from the flared pipe mating to a surface
inside the cylinder assembly. The nut presses this fitting together
tightly, but is not itself involved in any fluid sealing. If the fitting
is leaking, inspect closely the flared end for damage, minute cracks,
surface irregularities. ALSO inspect the mating surface inside the
cylinder - any damage to that surface means potential leaks too!
If the pipe twists as the nut is loosened, it will often gouge the
mating surface. Also if the pipe is overtightened! Fittings need to
be snug but leave the breaker bar at home.

And you'll find the Roadster uses both ISO flares (the 'bulb' end)
and SAE double-wall flares (NOT single wall!). They are NOT
interchangeable, so don't mix up which end goes where.

-- John