Carb Jets

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Carb Jets
From: Bahnseye@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:58:46 EDT
A question for you racer boys: Will the 0.100" jets for the U20 SU carb
(1.75") fit the HJB-38W-3 (1.5") carbs  (with 0.090" jets) on the 1600?
Apparently back in the glory days Bob Sharp used to use the larger jets -
unless they forget to mention that the were also attached to the larger carbs
. . . naw, that wouldn't happen!  They also used  SU RH needles, which appear
to be richer at the top end.
I've gone from running too lean  (insufficient fuel presssure - about 2.5
lbs.); changed pumps and now too rich, from too much fuel pressure (about 6
lbs.).  I just added a pressure regulator to set it correctly at 4 lbs. and
reset the floats , but would still like to get a little more fuel at the
intermediate  range -
currently it gets flat about 5500-6900 rpm, and then it takes off like it's
turbocharged right up through 7500 RPM.  Strange.

Had a great time at SVRA at Pocono, except for flat spotting a whole set of
Yoko 008's - it was either that or take out the back end of a Morgan at 100
MPH as he slowed to a craw entering the chicane on the NACSAR track.  Still
qualified 11 out of 30 but had to change to old narrow street tires for the
race - cost  me 10 sec. per lap, for a strong last place finish!  Finishing
last is better than not finishing at all, but not by much . . . even though
it was "1st in class" (only car in group 3F!)

JH Bahn