Re: fouling plugs

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fouling plugs
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 09:22:18 -0700
Oooh, Gary, not good! You must have had a heck of a good prelube in there to be
able to get that far (unless the car wash is just down the block). My first
guess would be toasted valve seals, which are relatively easy to replace. The
valves don't depend on oil for lubrication - the valve seals are supposed to
prevent that, in fact. Older engines like ours depended on the lead in the gas
for lubrication.

Longer-term, I'd be very concerned about the cylinder walls and bearings. The
bearings can be checked easily enough by dropping the pan, but the cylinders are
much harder to evaluate without at least pulling the head. And at that point,
it's just about as easy to pull the whole engine and do it right.

--
Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA