Pump once for effect

To: "Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pump once for effect
From: "Daniel" <daniel@seaport.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:57:39 -0700
Following the recent rear brake thread.

After replacing my rear axle bearings and seal (thanks to all that provided
info and pictures), my brakes are very soft.

I have rebled the brakes three times.  I have to pump once to get any pedal,
then get full pedal on the second pump; very exciting in traffic.

For what it is worth I checked last night and saw that the long ear is down
on the B/C.  I also noticed that the rear pads do not even look like they
have been touching, as they still have my greasy finger prints on them.  I
also tried the e-brake on while driving idea.  It really brings the pedal
back.

I know the skims on the back of the B/C are not correct, though they do seem
to hold the B/C firmly.  Should the B/C be able to slide easily or with some
force?  I am wondering if the B/C is moving too much.

Other question is about the brake adjuster.  Should there be little plungers
in the outer adjuster holes?  Because my brake pads do not come near the
adjuster nut in any position.  Should the pads have little indent that go
into the adjuster hole within the slot to touch the adjuster nut???  My pads
are nearly flat where they touch the adjuster slot.

Does anyone have a pics of the adjuster in action?  I saw one pic and it
looked to have some sort of plunger in the slotted hole.

WOW!!!  Am I out there.

Thanks WAY in advance.

Daniel Beatty
65 1600 #1322
Portland, OR

"A little bit of knowledge, like a little bit of brake, can get you killed."