Re: gm self exciting alternator (its kinds long)

To: Beamonk@aol.com
Subject: Re: gm self exciting alternator (its kinds long)
From: Dan Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 19:09:51 -0700
Hello All,
        Okay belatedly I will give my take on this subject.  All arguments
of 'keep it stock' aside I think if you want to add any electrical extras the
stock 35 amp alt is going to be woefully not up to the task.  My car has nice
and bright headlights and extra aux driving lights and a big stereo and I can
have the heater blowing on high and I have power to spare.  And I believe that
the more modern regulator does a better job of regulating the voltage.
        First make sure you have a good strong mounting system for the
alt.  I had to go up one size in bolts and a grade in quality because my first
set snapped.  The bigger alt takes more horsepower to turn and this will put
more stress on the alt brackets.
        Next do what Tom says and run two wires from the alt straight to
the batt. you local car parts store will sell 4 gauge batt wires in all kinds
of
different configs to fit your application.  You should be able to bolt the
wires
to the alt and to the batt. By two wires I mean the + and - outputs of the
alt to the + and - batt terminals.
        Next you can run a smaller cable through a 35 amp fuse into where
the old stock alt hot lead went.
        Thats it you are up and running.. unfortunately your amp guage will
no longer really work.. It will show deflections and such but I am not sure how
much they corespond to reality.
        On the subject of silly big alts (like mine).  If it is wired up as
described above I do not think there is any danger to the cars electrical
system.  the alts are internally regulated.  That means they do not put out
100 amps from the get go. They put out enough amps to maintain a set
voltage.  Now, lets say you have a ridiculously large stereo set-up in your
trunk (like someone I know).  If you run a power wire straight from the batt to
the trunk there
is no danger of frying your electrical system.  Lets say that my stereo
requires 75 amps to run.  The current will run through the seperate power
lead to the amps and to ground.  As long as you tie all your electric gegaws
right into the battery you will not put any strain on the cars wiring harness
because you are bypassing it.  Current has good sense...it only goes where
its wanted (i.e. the easiest path to ground).  And even if something went
wacky the 35 amp fuse would blow and protect the harness.
        Wow I guess I had a lot to say on that subject.

        Daniel 69 2000