Dead alt.

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Dead alt.
From: Dan Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 12:45:36 -0700
Hello All,
        Well I have yet another problem with my car.  It appears that my
fancy chrome one wire 100 amp alt has died.  It used to give me a nice
14.5-15V now there is no output???  What can go wrong with an  alt that would
cause this??  I have only had it in the car for like six months and I was
expecting it to last much longer.  At Shasta a   couple people commented that
the alt pully was
not lined up exactly with the  crank shaft/waterpump pullys, causing a
vibration.  Would this cause it to fail?? I have just installed my MSD 6AL
ignition system. This would not
cause the alt to blow would it??  I do have ~350 watt sound system, but I do
not think that this should tax a 100 amp alt??This is the alt that MIke Kerr
sells. Last time
I talked to him he was not sure what type it is. GM or Ford or whatever.  If
someone else who has purchased one of these would like to venture a guess that
would be great.  I think that I can buy a 'rebuild' kit for like 30 bucks which
would be nice, if I know exactly what kind of alt. it is.
        I have been running the car basically as a total loss electrical
system.  Lights, heater blower, high powered ignition, high powered stereo.
and the car ran just fine....says alot for my optima yellow top battery. The
only indication that I had that anything was wrong was that the stereo would
not play quite as loud as it used to and the volts gauge would jsut sit at
~12.5V
        If its not one thing its another.

        Daniel 69 2000