Re: why turn signal on left?

To: conrad1@gte.net, kyle@sonic.net
Subject: Re: why turn signal on left?
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 99 11:35:20 CDT
Folks,

When you climb into a RIGHT HAND DRIVE roadster,
everything will make sense. You'll open the
drivers door with the left hand... keys go
immediately to the ignition switch while still
in your left hand.

Right hand is "free" for the turn signal, so
you can indicate the turn while down shifting
with your left hand.

I thin for '68 Nissan realized they could reduce
cost by having the same column, ignition switch,
cover plate, etc as the right hand car fit into
the left hand car.  (Opps, THINK not thin. Line edit
mode).

So for us in North America, when we climb in, we have to
"trade hands" for the keys, and get used to that turn
signal on the "wrong side".  As to the switch itself,
it also used on a EARLY 510, too.  69-70 switches are
different from the '68 item.

Cheers,

Tom "too much trivia" Walter
  67 2000     68 2000