radiator filters (was: Recoring Radiators)

To: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Subject: radiator filters (was: Recoring Radiators)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:34:00 PST8PDT
Fred wrote:
> BTW, a tip I got is that after an engine rebuild, as in hot-tanking the
>engine
> block, you should run the engine for a while on an old radiator...
> All kinds of gunk will get trapped in the (old) radiator...

I've used a 'Gano filter' in my Mustang, and it's frightening all the
junk it catches. It's a plastic tube (polycarbonate? whatever it
is, it's heat resistant and tough) with a double strainer made of
brass wire mesh. Specialty shops carry them in different sizes
based on diameter of radiator hose. You slice a chunk out of the upper
radiator hose (ouch!) and insert the filter. It's clear, so you can tell
when it's getting clogged up as well as check coolant level and condition.
Just don't overtighten the clamps or you'll crack the tube (which is why
it's not on my Mustang anymore...)

If you want to see what one looks like check out:
    http://www.mustangsplus.com/newpart/gano/index.htm
NOTE: SIZE MATTERS! Wherever you buy one from, measure the
diameter of your radiator hose and make sure you get the matching
size!

-- John