Re: rear suspension

To: "Jon & Karen Fayth" <JKFayth@ibm.net>,
Subject: Re: rear suspension
From: Ronnie Day <rday@airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 11:50:53 -0500
>I've just bought a 68 2000 with the bump stops removed from the frame
>and aftermarket coil springs mounted on top of the axle instead. It's a
>lousy ride, what with the bracket bolts hitting the frame rail on any
>bad bump in the road. What's the solution? I have air shocks and helper
>springs on my 69 and it's better. Any other fixes anyone has discovered?
>Should I have the springs rebent? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jon,

If I understand what's happened here (that someone has altered the
original suspension, or tried to shore up sagged springs) then I would
suggest the only real fix is to get and install the OEM pieces.

It sounds like you need new (leaf) springs and bump stops. There simply
is no subsitute, IMHO, for doing it right. THere are vendors and possibly
individuals on the list that can supply you with new or better leaf
springs and the bump stops.

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@airmail.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)