tach cable replacement...

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: tach cable replacement...
From: "Dan Neff" <neffster@mail.bemail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:25:17 MDT
I thought I'd take up a little bandwidth and whine about the tach
cable installation I did yesterday. Yearning to eliminate my last
(known) oil leak, I thought this'd be a quick and easy - heck, it's
only a $19 part. ;)
I'm a shade tree mech'c, but how hard is unscrewing the old, and
screwing in the new? Didn't even enter my mind it'd be significantly
different than the motorcycle cables or other (larger) auto's I've
done before..
AAIIiigggghhhhHHHHHH!!!!
So THAT's how the steering column comes out.. So you DO have to
remove the tach to replace that top light. And how does Nissan
expect this longer aluminum sleeve on the new tach cable to fit??
Thread the tach cable how and where??
AAIIiigggghhhhHHHHHH!!!!
For the curious, I opted for another Roadsterite's recommendation to
thread it thru that square box thingy the steering column bolts to,
with some customized 'reshaping' (20oz hammer, 18" slotted
screwdriver) on the top of the box in order to get the cable
position to line up with the tach.

   Well, it's in, everything I tore apart is reassembled, and works
with only 2 leftover parts (washers). I tell ya though, about ONE
MORE under the dash job with my fat hands, and I'll be looking for a
'56 chevy or something...

   On to more pleasant subjects: To any newbie owners (I still
consider myself one having had only *1* Roadster (for last 2 yrs),
if you find your brakes kinda spongy, check for a hairline crack in
the firewall under your brake master cylinder. If it's there (I
haven't seen a Roadster that didn't), I HIGHLY recommend the
firewall brace (I got mine from Stan Chernoff; is he the only
supplier?). WHAT a difference!!
  And whoever told me it's a simple, easy, install: ;p (translation:
PLPLplpLplhhplhplh!!!) ;) Another under-the-dash-project! Ok. it WAS
relatively easy.. But i tell ya, I'm 6'2", 200+, and everytime I get
under the dash, I try to picture how small those Nissan folks had to
be to design this, let alone assemble this stuff.. Maybe it was
politically motivated.. a conspiracy!!  ;)

Anyway, we're off and running, and only 1 day lost of top-down
driving!!
dan.
Dan Neff   '69 2000
SRL311-12866