Re: Blow-by?

To: roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Blow-by?
From: "Richard B. Chianese" <Richard.B.Chianese@swpc.siemens.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:51:54 -0400
Ken,

My chemistry expert here at work tells me that carbon is only weakly
soluble in most liquids (even liquid iron).  You have to remove it using
mechanical processes.  I have heard that ground-up walnut shells can be
shot blasted to remove carbon without damaging the metal parts.

I would suspect that your valve seals have given up and the carbon you
see is burned oil that has seeped down the valve guides.  Check it out
(seals and guides) while you have the head off.

Rick Chianese
SRL311-14035
Orlando, FL - 91F and the thunderstorms have arrived.