Blow-by?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Blow-by?
From: Ken Pearce <kpearce@madison.engr.ukans.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:55:06 -0500 (CDT)
What is it?  Why do I have it?  And how do I get rid of it?

I've got copious amounts of oil coming out the PCV tube.  I've checked the
caulking on the PCV baffle on the valve cover, per Ross's posting a while
back where he thought a motor needed rebuilding but ended up just needing
a new valve cover, but mine looks OK.

Is this oil blowing by the valves?  rings?  Clue me in here...  My valves
are absolutely caked with carbon buildup.  Last time I had the intake
manifold off, I looked in there and could barely even see one of the
valves there was so much crud.  I'm pulling the head this weekend to
change out a leaking head gasket (right rear corner) and was wondering if
anyone had any experience with products that dissolve carbon buildup?

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Ken Pearce, 68-2000
Lawrence, KS