Re: Calipers ( and other Mods)

To: "Dan Davis" <dans510@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Calipers ( and other Mods)
From: Ronnie Day <rday@airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 11:05:43 -0500
>Are there any other calipers that I can use on my stock front brakes?
>they stop the car, just very slowly, and I would like to upgrade to a larger
>(more pistons) caliper.  280Z(X)?  Toyota? Will I need to snag another
>master cylinder, or what?

There seem to have been several questions (on both the roadster and 510
lists) lately about problems with brakes, cooling, and/or other major
systems and fixing them by swapping in non-original parts. I'd like to
make the following observation.

If any of these systems aren't working right then you probably need to
find out why it's not before starting to swap in non-original parts. On
the 510, both the cooling and brake systems work well unless the
radiator's clogged, there's air in the brake line, you're running a
HIGHLY modified motor, etc.

Understand that I am not a hardcore keep it stock type. Our '73 will
probably have an L-22, VW style radiator, 5-speed, fully adjustable
suspension with ZX struts and 200SX rear discs, the whole nine yards. On
the other hand, I'm using the stock brakes on the E/P car to save weight
(biggest reason) and because they're adequate for autocross. For track
use, with higher speeds and longer term usage cycles, I'd probably go
with an upgrade.

I'm not going to belabor the point further, and please understand that
I'm not flaming anyone or trying to start any arguments. I think one of
the best purposes of these lists is to share information and experiences,
to keep folks new to the hobby from having to "reinvent the wheel". I
wish that I'd had this sort of resource in 1965 when I dropped a 750 cfm
Holley double pumper on an otherwise stock Chevy 2-barrel 283. Needless
to say, it didn't work too well.

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@airmail.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)