Re: overheating problem

To: "Matthew W Peterson" <pete-3@juno.com>,
Subject: Re: overheating problem
From: Ronnie Day <rday@airmail.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 20:05:06 -0500
>I figure either my car is loosing coolant out of the overflow constantly
>while I'm driving which is causing my car to overheat or my radiator
>isn't working properly and my coolant is boiling off.  I noticed that
>when I took off the radiator cap while it was still fairly hot that there
>were small bubbles coming up from the coolant.  I also felt the radiator
>and the top and bottom were both hot while the center part with the fins
>was a little warm but not nearly as hot as the top and bottom.

I've forgotten if the top tank of the radiator is the highest point in
the cooling system. I it is, you need to let the car warm up to the point
that the thermostat opens and coolant is flowing through the system. The
point is to let the cooling system cycle the coolant through and burp out
any air bubbles trapped within the system. Once any air is out of the
system and if the thermostat, radiator and cap are sound and functioning
properly, everything should be fine.

Be sure and check all the "if's" listed above. Can you turn an 1 5/8 or 1
3/4 garden hose with the end in the rad filler neck (both hoses off and
the top fitting blocked off) and have the water flow through the radiator
and out the bottom hose fitting without overflowing the top tank? If not,
the core might be at least partially blocked. A good radiator shop should
be able to rod out the core for you, if the radiator is basically sound.

HIH,
Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@airmail.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)