constant coolant overflow

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: constant coolant overflow
From: Matthew W Peterson <pete-3@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 17:54:46 -0500
Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is having a nice day.  I'm doing fine accept for the more
people I talk to and the more things I try it seems that I am going to
need to replace my head gasket.  I talked to Dennis at Classic Datsun and
he advised that I check my thermostat.  I tried that and it's fine so
that can't be the problem.  I didn't notice any coolant on the spark
plugs or in the cylinders (although the piston heads looked almost
oily/sooty and the spark plugs were almost black).  Also #4 spark plug
has oil all along the threads and is more dirty than the other 3 plugs.
Could this mean an oil leak into cylinder #4?  The exhaust isn't as white
as I made it out to be I guess.  It has no "sweet" smell and it is very
dry.  No water vapor that I can tell, it is burning oil for sure though.
The oil on the dipstick and in the valve cover is not cloudy or milky
looking.  I get my rad overflow cap that I ordered tomorow.  I'll try
that and see if it fixes the problem although I don't think it will
anymore.
        I have never tore apart a car engine so I am having a tough time
visualizing for myself what could be happening.  I know the basic
workings but I don't know exactly where the coolant passages are and
where the oil is circulated.  I guess I'll find out if I have to take off
the head.
        Thanks so much for everyones replies.  I am so impressed at
everyones interest in my car problems and the readily given advice.

Matt Peterson
'68 1600 (with a 3-main)
Zimmerman, MN