Rear Brake Drum Puzzlement

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear Brake Drum Puzzlement
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 20:07:54 EDT
Taking another brake from bodywork on the project car, and
explored my way through the rear brakes a little bit.  The finned aluminum
drums are so cool!  What concerned me was the steel or iron liners
inside the drums.  I see 3 small holes on the drum face, and assume
these are for using a punch to get the liners out, maybe after heating
up the drums, but I'm a little worried about that because they are
aluminum.   My questions are:
1)  What is the maximum allowable inside diameter of the liners?
      Usually this is stamped somewhere on the drum, I couldn't find it.
2)  Is it OK to use a pin punch and some heat to get these out, or is
      this a machine shop job, and, the big question,
3)   Do our roadster supply houses have these?
Mine might be OK, but without that max diameter, I don't know.
I am trying to keep to a rational plan of spending money over time on this
project, and brakes if needed, are quite important, especially with a
single reservoir master cylinder.   Quick look at the hydraulic end shows
no leaks past the boots, and no pedal sinking, so I might be OK there,
I'm going to follow advice of this list and change out the fluid and
see what the old juice looks like.  Someone somewhere did some
brake work not that many years ago, as even the flex hoses are OK,
with no age cracks or other deterioration.
Thanks in advance!
Jim
67 pushrod 2liter
Chesapeake Va