Speedo Cable and Backup switch questions....

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Speedo Cable and Backup switch questions....
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 23:43:27 EDT
For all,
Took a break from the bodywork and did a little more mechanical snooping,
began remove/restore/replace all the bits and pieces on the drivers
side of engine compartment, and found 2 extra dead-ended wires.
They come out of the harness by the starter motor, on the car side of
the plug that carries the 3 wires to the starter.  Red with black tracer.
Can anyone verify if these might be to the switch on the tranny for
the backup lights...if so, this will be about the last electrical wiring
puzzle
on the car.   My 67 pushrod 2liter also has the 5 speed tranny, of
unknown vintage, and the only electrical plug is on the
passenger side, about 6 or 8 inches aft of the clutch lever, I'm hoping
this is the backup switch and not some emissions switch from a newer car.
While I was down there, I found the speedo input, same side and
just forward of the shifter.  How in the heck can the cable get in there?
There is only an inch or maybe 2 of clearance.  Do I need to get the hammer
and beat a clearance bump in the tunnel?  How are other folks
with an early car and 5 speed dealing with this?  The speedo cable
is completely missing, so I have nothing to go on here.  The
PO bought a killer built up engine, (and 5spd) but must of had it installed by
a troop of trained monkeys, who were irritated that day.  BTW, if the po
drove it much this way, would you loose tranny oil out of the speedo
hole?  Maybe I don't want to know the answer to this...
Thanks in advance...
Jim
67 SPL 311 09059
with R-108896 pushrod 2liter