won't keep running

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: won't keep running
From: Matthew W Peterson <pete-3@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 21:43:38 -0500
Hi,

Now my car will start but it won't keep running.  It'll start up and then
die after a couple of seconds, almost like it is running out of gas.  I
put in new spark plugs, plug wires, re-timed it, and I did all the things
that Calspeed told me to do with my carbs.  I adjusted the mixture,
adjusted the float level, made sure that the plungers were moving freely,
and made sure that all the linkage was working properly but it still
won't go.  A couple things I noticed while I had the carbs apart was that
there was some sediment in the float bowls.  Another thing was that there
were no gaskets between the float bowl and the lid or the dome and the
carb body.  Should there be gaskets in these places?  Would that hinder
gas flow?  It seems to be a fuel problem to me but I am no expert.  Also,
after it fires for a few seconds then dies, it won't fire at all until I
let it sit for a minute or two.  Almost like it's building up fuel
somewhere.  Could my pump be bad (original mechanical pump)?  I have this
weekend off so I hope I can really get into it and figure it out
Saturday.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Matt Peterson