A Twink engine hoisting question

To: "Chapman-Era (E-mail)" <chapman-era@autox.team.net>
Subject: A Twink engine hoisting question
From: Dave Billings <bilcoh@home.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:11:42 -0700
Gentlemen:

It has been a while since having any discourse with you, as my new career
choice (Web Development) has forced me to abandon the Chapman and Lotus
Lists for a
while.  However, I was hoping that I might troll for some information.  As
a brief refresher, I am a Seattle based owner of a '66 Elan S2 that is,
sadly, still "under repair", a state that seems to be approaching
permanency.  *But*, I am finally getting together a place to work on this
little beast, and am therfore hopeful of some progress before the millenium
rolls around.  So, on to my question.

I am building out some garage and shop space, and am working to an existing
roof height in the garage (only about 6'-8" from floor to ceiling) and am
looking into the space requirements for stuffing a Twin Cam into an Elan.
Assuming you attach an engine chain to the Twink block, then hoist it up,
how high off the floor does the peak of the chain (the hook point) need to
get to be able to swing the engine into the bay, and then tilt it as
necessary to swing the gearbox into place?  I realize this might be a
guessing game unless someone is in the middle of a rebuild, but I thought I
would give it a shot.  If I can ge that max. height dimension, then
subtract
my cross beam support clearance, I can figure out how much, if any space is
left for a winch.  Then I need to shop for the winch.  I welcome guesses on
heights and clearances, as well as winch suggestions.

Thanks, and I hope this message finds you all happily Lotusing along.  I am
working diligently in that direction.

Cheers,

Dave Billings