Re: Origin of the Name "Lotus"

To: Mike Causer <mikec@dial.drakken.com>
Subject: Re: Origin of the Name "Lotus"
From: rodbean@ix.netcom.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:26:49 -0700
Mike Causer wrote:

> "A. Sta. Maria" wrote:
> >
> > A year ago Rod and I corresponded on the origin of the name "Lotus" -- a
> > topic that apparently recurs at least once a year.  I hope that means there
> > are always new enthusiasts in the fold.
>
> > >From: rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM [SMTP:rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM]
>

> > >Ah yes, Andres, I'd much rather believe this one (but can't help thinking
> > > that, had it been true, it wouldn't have remained so mysterious all
> > > these years).
>
> Chapman himself wrote in 1954:
>
>    The first car was basically an Austin 7 chassis and engine, it was
>    called a Lotus too but I am not going to tell you why.  I have been
>    asked many times the origin of the name of my cars but that cannot
>    be divulged for several years.  It is one of those things, rather
>    like the chap who will never tell you why his friends call him
>    "Stinker".
>
> This is from a 4 part article entitled "The Lotus story", published in
> the magazine Motor Racing from Nov 1954 to Feb 1955.
>
> OK, so we know from this that it's something embarrassing to Chapman,
> but not so bad that he was never going to reveal it.   One possibility
> is the theory that I don't think made the Lotus FAQ, and that is that
> one of Chunky's favourite phrases was "Us lot", and that this was
> reversed to make the name of the car.
>
> One day maybe someone will fill Hazel with gin and find out.....
>
> Mike

Regarding that Motor Racing article, is there a scanned copy on a website
anywhere?  That would make a nice addition to the collection even being
pre-Elan.  I have (packed away) most of the year 1955 Autocar (to which I
subscribed before I had a driver's license) and one of them has a nice article
about driving a Mark IX up to northern England on the road.... great stuff.

Rod