Re: rally elan

To: mikec@dial.drakken.com
Subject: Re: rally elan
From: rodbean@ix.netcom.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:59:54 -0700
Mike Causer wrote:

> rodbean@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
> > Actually, there was a guy (his name escapes me now) from around here who,
> > after being sponsored by Chrysler for early-mid seventies pro rallying,
> > actually prepared an Elan for the purpose.
> >
> > My reaction was horror at seeing an Elan formally prepared for organized
> > destruction.  What was next, destruction derby?  But... to each his own.
>
> There are lots of Elans used in "Classic" rallying around Europe, and they
> are quite suceessfull too.  Not far from where I live there is a Plus Two
> in full rally trim built by Peter Day.  It is a lovely looking machine,
> very fast (170bhp and 4.7 final drive), and is used for tarmac rallies,  the
> owner has a Mk2 Lotus Cortina for the rough stuff, although he's aquired a
> Mk 1 to replace it.
>
> I don't know what sort of rallies Rod has seen, but in Europe an Elan is a
> good choice for many of them.
>
> Mike

I'm referring to pro rallies (at least, that's what they call them here)
usually run on dirt roads at full speed.  There's a lot of jumping involved as
well as rough surfaces.  Not all that unlike off road racing sometimes.  Looks
to me like it would destroy a car without very beefy reinforcement.

Rod