Re: rally elan

To: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Subject: Re: rally elan
From: rodbean@ix.netcom.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:40:27 -0700
"Erik V. Berg" wrote:

> Brian, sorry for my tardy reply.  Hope you don't mind me Cc'ing this
> to the chapman-era mailing list.
>
> You wrote:
> >just a thought.  I have, what appears to be the only "works"
> >experimental rally Elan in existance.  It has many 26R features and has
> >been varified by the factory.  It is a type 36 built in Aug 66 by Lotus
> >Components and was BRG with four cibie oscars across the front.
>
> Well, I've actually never seen such a car, although I've certainly heard
> tales of rally prepared Elans.  An actual *works* rally car, verified by
> the Lotus Factory?  Wow.  That is interesting.
>
> What 26R features does it have?  Does it have the mag rear hub carriers,
> and such?  Does it have a light body shell?  Does it have 26R hubs and
> wheels?
>
> Regards,
> Erik Berg

This would have the special rally-ready Thames 1-ton chassis and suspension
components under the Elan body, I presume....

Actually, there was a guy (his name escapes me now) from around here who,
after being sponsored by Chrysler for early-mid seventies pro rallying,
actually prepared an Elan for the purpose.

My reaction was horror at seeing an Elan formally prepared for organized
destruction.  What was next, destruction derby?  But... to each his own.

Brian, does this car show signs of "usage"????

Rod Bean