Elan 5 Speed Conversion

To: autox.team.net!chapman-era@manatee.oau.org
Subject: Elan 5 Speed Conversion
From: John Connin <johnc@manatee.oau.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 16:07:25 -0400 (EDT)
I am a relatively new lurker to the group so point me in the right
direction if this is documented somewhere on the net.

I am interested in converting my S1 Elan to a 5 speed transmission
in a reversible manner.

In the March 1998 issue of the British Magazine 'Practical Classics' on
page 175 there is a brief paragraph titled "Ford Five-Speed Conversions":

 "A WIDE RANGE of services for classic car owners is offered by A Frame
  Engineering of Nelson in Lancashire (01282 690184).  They manufacture
  a range of chiefly four-cylinder Ford alloy bellhousings to which
  five-speed gearboxes can be fitted.  They also make inlet manifolds,
  crossflow rocker covers and reproduce obsolete motorsport parts.  They
  also undertake suspension and brake tuning as well as engine, gearbox,
  and axle rebuilds, bodyshell preparation and roll-cage fitting.  The
  man is speak to is Michael Tominson."

Among other things a picture of a bellhousing is shown with the caption
"RS2000 bellhousing to take a Sierra five-speed box".

Questions:

1) Is there a preferred 5 speed conversion method ?

2) Will the Ford Sierra (Merkur XR4Ti) transmission / bell housing
   bolt up to the Elan bell housing / transmission respectively ?

3) Does any one know anything about the above company and whether or
   not they offer any product which would help ?

4) Any other question I should have ask ?

best regards,
johnc