Re: FW: Elan +2 Tyres ?

To: chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net, JACKSON Ken <Ken.JACKSON@sema.co.uk>
Subject: Re: FW: Elan +2 Tyres ?
From: rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 98 07:04:45 PST
     Hi Ken,

     Welcome to chapman-era.  We're a small bunch but we're all on the same
     page, Lotus-wise.

     I have had Elans for years and favor smaller tire sizes for the light,
     responsive feel, as well as the challenge of "directing" the grip
     among four small spots.  My Elans are all S1 and S2 and I like 145-13
     or possibly 155.

     For +2s, I'd use 175/70s.  It's still a light car at about 1900 lb.

     Generally, I like stiff sidewalls because the steering response is
     better but with our light, softly-suspended cars, the softer sidewalls
     might be a better choice (in small sizes).

     Probably, the specific brands and models of tire in the UK vary from
     ours (I'm in southern California) but I'd consider the tire's
     performance reputation, size availability and weight (get the lightest
     tire you can that meets your other requirements).

     Rod Bean