Elan front springs

To: aasignsltd@clear.net.nz
Subject: Elan front springs
From: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 21:30:28 -0700
Andrew, on Tue, 28 Jul 1998 you posted (to Lotus-Cars):
> Sorry to send this to the whole list but have had problems with my
> e-mails and needed to thank Lars-Olaf for the information he sent me
> on Elan front springs.  Regards

Andrew, did you get a response about this from Ray Yang?  Assuming not,
I've copied his messages below:

Ray commented:
> Greetings Andrew/Erik:
> I have some stock front springs that are off the car and I'll measure
> them when I get home today.  If my memory serves me, aren't these
> lengths also mentioned in the DBE catalog?

And then,
> I measured one of my old stock S2 Elan front springs, and it came out
> at 16.5 inches.  I also checked the Dave Bean Engineering catalog and
> find that it lists a free length for the stock front spring at 16.1
> inches (early Elan) and 16.75 inches (later models).  I am not sure
> how they define early versus late (possibly at the S2 to S3
> changeover?).
> Perhaps this early/late distinction is why you have two lengths as
> well?

Andrew, could you post any other related comments that you received
privately, to chapman-era?  I think others here might be interested
in this topic too.

Regards,
Erik Berg
Los Angeles