Elan report

To: chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Elan report
From: Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 23:25:52 +0200 (MET DST)
I said that I would let you guys know when we found out of the
thump and jerk problem.(see earlier posting)
This is what we found out:

First of all I forgot to tell you all the symptoms.
In addition to the thump and jerk when we accelerated, there
was a thump when we braked (a bit) hard after driving forwards.
(and if we reversed and braked, we experienced the same thing)
It was then clear that something was moving back and forth.

We traced this to the nylon bushes on the lower suspension arms
at the front left side. The steel "pipe" inside the bushing was
moving, so that whole lover suspension moved back and forth and caused
the thump(It actualy "touched" the chassis, at one point and removed
some of the paint). We temporarily fixed this with "shims" on each side of
the bushings(both) until we can replace the bushings. Can anybody tell me
what usually prevents the "pipe" inside the nylon bushing to slide"?

The "original" problem was probably a combination of this  bushing problem
and an deteriorated (big) rubber bushing (will be replaced when we can get
the part), temporarily fix , tightning of bolts.
 I do not know exactly what was done , since a did not see it myself.

So know the car seems to be fairly free of thumps and jerks.
The car can now be driven without fear of breaking anything :)
(I hope so, at least)

Just some squeeking from the dashboard is annoying me now :)

Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>