Maybe its Akron...

To: lotus-cars@lists.best.com
Subject: Maybe its Akron...
From: Keith Gustafson <gusmach@shore.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 20:25:37 -0400 (EDT)
Well, I didn't shut up soon enough.

I've been driving my car with a high speed miss that has been getting worse
the last few days, so I decided I better check it out. I pulled the cap and
the cap and rotor seemed good, a year old I think. Then I noticed that the
point plate wobbled quite a bit. So I dug a bit deeper, a little too deep it
would seem. After finding a way to tighten up the slop in the point plate, I
reassembled the distributor. I had started to take the upper distributor
shaft apart before I remembered that I didn't need to. I hopped in and
turned the key. The starter engaged and it turned over, then, a horrible
crunch. :(

It seems one of the weights had come out and jammed the distributor
internally. It took the body of the distributor and spun it around until it
couldn't any more, then tore about a third of the gear off of the shaft. Oh
well, I have a spare, better just check the jackshaft to  see if it is OK.
Oh yeah, lost a tooth there too. Tingle has got one so I'll drive over and
get it tomorrow.  Its gonna be a long weekend.

BTW, this happened in the parking lot of my shop, while doing relatively
routine maintenance, and was my fault, so although I needed a ride to get my
other car, technically, it didn't really strand me ;).