[Wedge] A/C Ranco switch

To: "jay snavely" <jays@paonline.com>
Subject: [Wedge] A/C Ranco switch
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:00:32 -0400
Message text written by "jay snavely"
>When I redid the A/C, the Ranco switch , TKC 3842, was faulty, but I could
>not find a new one.  Grainger supply sells Ranco, but not to the general
>public.

I don't quite understand their marketing strategy doing business this way.
I don't have that problem since I can just drop my company name and buy
what I want.

>I did talk to a sales rep, and was going to buy a similar Ranco
>switch, but he told me it was not weatherproof.  The original ones
>apparently were not either.

Since they are mounted under the hood and under the little plastic wain
shield and since you are not apt to drive in the rain much, I doubt it is a
big problem.

<snip>However, the mechanic said it would not work because it is for high
>voltage, not 12v.  I don't see this is a problem.  A switch is a switch.
So
>I told him to just jumper the switch for now.  So the fans will always run
>on high speed when the A/c is turned on.  I supposed other have done this.
>Is there any problem or reason not to do this?  Maybe the contacts on the
>original only need to be cleaned.  Has anyone done this?

I'd have the switch installed anyway.  If it fails you can always put in
the jumper.  The difference between the 12 volt and the 120 volt switch is
the type of material used on the contacts.  120 volts is high enough to
punch through the thin oxide layer  of some materials that 12 volts can't.
Concequently a 12 volt rated switch will require a more expensive contact
material (such as gold) to prevent the build up of the oxide layer.
However, since the switch drives an inductive load (the relay coils) the
contacts will see very short duration of some pretty high voltages which
should keep them clean.  I'll bet you have no trouble out of this switch
for quite a few years.

Dave

///
///