A/C Ranco switch

To: "TR8 List" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: A/C Ranco switch
From: "jay snavely" <jays@paonline.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:19:02 -0400
When I redid the A/C, the Ranco switch , TKC 3842, was faulty, but I could
not find a new one.  Grainger supply sells Ranco, but not to the general
public.  I did talk to a sales rep, and was going to buy a similar Ranco
switch, but he told me it was not weatherproof.  The original ones
apparently were not either.  I did buy a Johnson control that he told me was
weatherproof, but when I got it, it was not.  It looks like it should do the
job, and has adjustment on the pressure settings, but is larger and would be
a tight fit.  It has the capillary tube, and 2 connections for the fan relay
wires.  However, the mechanic said it would not work because it is for high
voltage, not 12v.  I don't see this is a problem.  A switch is a switch.  So
I told him to just jumper the switch for now.  So the fans will always run
on high speed when the A/c is turned on.  I supposed other have done this.
Is there any problem or reason not to do this?  Maybe the contacts on the
original only need to be cleaned.  Has anyone done this?

Thanks.
Jay Snavely
1974 TR6
1980 TR8